Thursday, June 29, 2017

Photo Journal Viking Belt

Creating the tablet weaving loom


Assembling the warp weighted tablet weaving loom that I designed and created for this project. Although I could not find historical evidence, I think the design is plausible. It greatly helped me to easily experiment with loom tension.

Weaving the belt

The warp setup length was 105 inch, the length of the woven belt after completion was 75 inch.

Warping the loom.

I started and always kept the ground and the brocading weft spools on opposite sides. That way I notice it right away when I have forgotten a pass. I always pass the brocading weft first, then the ground weft followed by a quarter forward turn of the cards and a beating of the weft.

The start of the weaving.

The loom weights are about 300 gram each. I attached the 20 warp threads of 5 cards in one bundle to each weight.

The loom weights. I think Lego should be period...

The finished belt was secured around the bar and wound up as I went along to keep a pleasant working distance from where I was sitting.

Over halfway done.

Passing the brocade weft behind complete cords to get a negative pattern on the bottom side of the belt.

The finished belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gold brocaded headband inspired by a find from the Shestovica cemetery; Second half 10th century AD, Chernigov, Ukraine

I was looking for a project to try something new with tablet weaving: brocading with metallic thread. A headband as part of the Wardrobe Pro...